furlough;

So I realise that I have not touched this blog in over a year. And I have a legitimate reason for abandoning it. more like, reasons.
1.) I felt increasingly incoherent as the year progressed and would stop midway while typing a post, fearing a lack of lucidity. I felt like my writing, much like my emotional and mental health, was jumbled up. The inexorable flow of words faltered and I felt like I had become quite incompetent at expressing what I was thinking or feeling.
2.) There were several significant and emotionally, mentally and physically taxing changes in the past one year, some served to teach me new things about myself and others changed my perspective about some of my strongly held beliefs. (so that partially answers why I was turmoiled)

I had written a more ruminative post but I have decided to post that later...probably after I edit it a little bit and contemplate if I really do intend to divulge. Also, since it has been a year since I posted something, it's only right that I start out with something more light-hearted. (And I shall briefly talk about a few significant happenings of the year too, in parts!)
---------------------
I think the most significant transition was that of going from being a full-time student to a full-time working adult. I can safely say that I do enjoy working more than formal education. I was quite anxious due to all the buzz about "missing student life one one starts working" etc. I used to think..."if this is considered enjoyable once I start working, how dreadful is working life exactly?!?!" It is NOT dreadful. In fact, now that I am one year into post-student life, I can say with conviction that working is so much more satisfying There are 2 main reasons for that:

1. Formal education has been profoundly unsatisfying. Contrary to its intended motive, (Asian) education does not integrate learning effectively. Hence, despite enjoying learning, I did not find school or college very gratifying. (Except maybe subjects like literature, history, math and linguistics back in school)

2.) You learn and in a much more profound way, once you start working. You can see your learning and effort translate into something more meaningful and impactful rather than just scoring As.

In the past one year, I learnt so much regarding computers, networks and information security than I ever did back in school. Security was one of the more interesting domains back in college, but working has taught me much more. And I surprisingly enjoy a lot of the things I was previously averse or scared to foray into, for example, working on Linux. :')
------------------
Also, I have been travelling way more than I'd prefer. I travelled to 3 countries in one year (!!!!) That is definitely above the comfort threshold of a homebody like myself. Through the years, I constantly felt like a modern aberration because I am literally surrounded by wanderlust-ers and increasingly, solivagants(my mother being one of them). {Not even kidding, there are days I got onto Instagram and I see consecutive stories of two followers(who do not know one another) taking pics alongside the same monument or landmark. Like for example, today, there was a pic of Sawnelie enjoying something cliff-like in Melbourne and then right after that was a picture of Nan(who is my boss) enjoying the farms in Melbourne.} So yes, apart from my father, I am constantly hounded by global gallivanters pushing the several merits of travelling, such as soul-searching and discovering cultures and living novel experiences in my face. So, I decided to push myself out of my comfort zone and succumbed to the peer pressure. I travelled to Nepal, India (yearly ritual) and Vietnam. Or as Viraj says "poor countries" -.-

I must admit, they were really fun experiences, unique and cherishable in their own ways. Travelling is a great learning experience, both in a personal and external way (?). For example, I discovered my hidden love for coffee in Vietnam. I typically find coffee disgusting but oh boy, do the Vietnamese know how to make some good coffee. If you're visiting Vietnam anytime soon, PLEASE do yourself a favour and try their iced milk coffee. SOOOO GOOD. I must thank Sang(who is my colleague) for forcing me to try it, despite my protests. Apart from that, I literally owe my entire Vietnam trip to him. He planned and guided us so well around his country, I had one of the best travelling experiences, despite not having my parents around.

You know, now that I think about it, none of my non-parental travelling experience was ever BAD or uncomfortable. I have always had a ton of fun, whether it was to the US in Sec 3, or Nepal on my grad trip or the Vietnam trip. Yet, I don't fancy travelling. :( So yeah, it is not that a certain experience scarred me or that I find any part of travel uncomfortable (eg. the air travel). I just...prefer being at home and slacking. I think my dad feels the same. It just boils to the fact that our idea of relaxation and unwinding is lazing at home, watching random documentaries/movies or reading or cooking. See, I am so low-maintenance hur hur hur. :P

Anyway, if leave me a comment if you want to hear more on my travel escapades! :) I shall dedicate a separate post for that if there are people who are interested.

-----------------

If I had to state a timeframe whereby I watched the most movies/week, it would be the past 9 months. I think I've watched a new movie almost every week...and some even first shows. :O (SEE, ANOTHER REASON TO LIKE WORKING LIFE) In the past few months, I watched:

1.) Boss Baby
2.) Baahubali
3.) Meri Pyaari Bindu
4.) Phillauri
5.) Guardians of the Galaxy
6.) Alien (Covenant)
7.) Assassin Creed
8.) King Arthur
9.) Fast & Furious 9
10.) Duvvada Jagannadham 
11.) Sarkar 3

Idk if this is normal for some of y'all, but I was never someone who normally watched that many movies at the theatres in a certain time frame. I think part of this is faciliated by avid movie-watcher friends like Viraj and Swami...so credits to them too. Also, I might do a Baahubali movie review because I still cannot get over the magnificence, and thats after watching it THRICE in theatres. Yes, I have problems.
------------------

So that's all for the pleasant/light-hearted happenings in my life. I thought of doing something reminiscent of the way I uesd to blog back in secondary school. Hence, I shall document some funny/epic/amusing conversations and encounters I've had the last month.

Convo 1 - Sonal's stalky(please appreciate my pun) fetish 

~Sonal telling me about some cute guy who was hitting on her~

J: So what's stopping you from going out with him?
S: I don't know...a few things...
J: Like? He's cute and smart...what more do you want?
S: Yeah but he's like 5'6...
J: -.- Are you serious? That's your bloody reason?
S (smugly): Well, I have a record to maintain here...none of the guys I've dated are below 6 feet.
J: -.-

Convo 2 - Where J gets her aversion for formal education

~Dad telling me about one of his colleague's daughters enjoying her undergrad in the US~ 

J: Yeah yeah, I've heard enough from -insert list of friends who gallivanted overseas for undergrad *rolling eyes*
D: If you want to go now, you can too, no one is stopping you, you know...
J: Do you know expensive postgrad is in US?
D: Yeah don't worry about that, I'll sponsor you if you get some place decent..
J: Yeah when I wanted to, you guys chained me here -.-
D: Well, now we aren't...so you should apply if you want.
J (mirthless expression): No thanks, I've had enough formal education for a lifetime.
D: Why? You should live up to your calibre! (HAH, funny HE should say that after getting me to reject freaking UCB)
J: Well, why didn't YOU do masters?
D (haughtily): Well, I felt that people only did masters if they weren't good enough with their undergrad. No well-paying job = do masters. I didn't need to.
J: Well, I have a job, so why should I do a masters?
D (sheepishly): Ok, fine. I just dislike having to write exams and all the hassle that comes with studies. :P And since I never needed to get a masters to further my career, I never ventured that path.
J: ...hypocrisy at its finest.

Hur Hur Hur, now we know where I get my aversion for formal education...

Convo 3 - Feminist (?) Grandma

~My Attha (dad's elder sister) on Skype trying to get me to open up about any romantic relationship I might be in~ 

A: If you have someone in mind...you can always approach us. Don't be scared, we are open-minded people.. (For all those who are confused, almost my entire family has had arranged marriages, so my aunt was trying to make me comfortable with the idea that they're open to love marriages too)
J: Yeah, um, I will...
A: Yeah, the faster you tell us, the sooner we can consider marriage... (if this is all too confusing for non-desis, I apologise)
J (mumble): Yes...I understand

~Naanamma(dad's mum) shuffling into the room, catching part of the conversation and my obvious discomfort~ 

N: She's only 2*, don't rush her into anything she might not be prepared for! She just finished studying, let her live a little... *scoffing* *turns to me* You only get married when you feel the time and person is right ok?

Literally everyone: *shocked beyond words*

To be very honest, I have the best grandma in the world. She's the epitome of progressiveness(no, I do not mean this in the pseudo-liberal or neoliberal way) and coolness. She doesn't force her views on anyone and gives everyone a valid listening an ear, despite her age and experience. Also, how many grandmas read the newspaper every day without glasses at the age of 90? :D Mine. (its a shame how I got glasses at the age of 9, fml) Also, she is one of the most inspiring people I've met, mostly due to her everyday discipline and dedication towards life. :') I hope I can be half as pragmatic and reasonable in the way she when I am her age. (Seeing my lifestyle though, I highly doubt I will even live up to 80 lmao)

--------------

Alright that's all I can remember for now! I'll try to post the write-up over which I mulled over next week. :) Tschuss!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

prashka;