reviews part 2;

I feel like apologizing for vanishing again but what is the point when  I keep doing it again and again. :(

So today, I went for lunch with Laveena to Bugis.
And ended up making her wait for like 15 minutes because I was so lost.
You would think that I have Bugis figured out by now considering I go there at least once a month.
BUT NO.
Anyway, she was very kind after she realized I hurt my toe under the door.
Actually...she was more of disgusted when she saw the watery blood serum leaking.
She gave me tissues and then hugged me. :')
I really like having one-to-one or max two-to-one lunches with people.
Makes me feel like I can talk to them on a visceral level and really observe their idiosyncrasies.
So today was nice.
Plus, she convinced me to buy a halter neck top. Which I liked a lot but was just scared it'll make my midriff show.
I bought it anyways cause it was 10 bucks with gorgeous Georgette work on it.

On the topic of things I liked a lot,

I've decided to share 2 of my (new) fav products (cosmetic) from the past 6 months.
Again, they suited my skin and hair and might not suit yours. But I absolutely adore them, so if you have similar skin tone/type and hair tone/type, then you might wanna give them a try if you don't already have holy grail products.

1.) Clinique's dramatically different moisturizing lotion

Intially, I was put off by the thick consistency of this product. I imagined it would set heavily on my skin and cause it to be more oily and shiny than it already does after a few hours out at school. My mother uses it diligently but she has normal skin and I thought it would not work for me because I have combination/oily skin. I was forced to use it because I left my usual Body Shop Tea tree night serum (yes, I use it in the morning. I can swear by this product, no joke). I must say, I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of this product. Not only did it get absorbed into my skin quickly, it had my concealer and foundation to sit in place for the entire day. And it did not make my skin any more shinier. So now, I use her(mah momma's) moisturizer whenever I am at home and have not noticed any breakouts or rashes (this is a huge deal for a person with sensitive skin!)

2.) Alba Botanica's Facial Scrub with Pore purifying Pineapple Enzyme

So I have this habit of randomly loitering in Watson's, Guardian or Sephora wherever I see them. Idk why I do it, but  I do. And people who are very close to my know that this is something I do every time I see one when I am outside. I sound damn aunty right now but heck, h8ers gonna h8. I like seeing whats new and whats on sale and try out any samples or testers because again, I am damn aunty.  So anyway, certain products catch my eye. Usually, these products are

  1. cheap
  2. paraben-free
  3. animal testing-free
  4. vegetarian/vegan-friendly
Albeit this product is not exactly very cheap, it is quite reasonable. I got it at 11 bucks on sale, the original price is 14 bucks. I don't normally buy cleansers and scrubs on sales because I feel like they are gonna be expiring soon. But don't worry, the one  I got expires 2 years from now so yayeee. 
So anyway, because it was 2, 3 and 4, I was obviously curious and had my eye on it for a longgg time. When it got on sale, I purchased it immediately. AND CAN I JUST SAY HOW HEAVENLY IT SMELLS? it makes my skin smell like fruit and citrus and OMG I LOVE THE SMELL.
So I know usually things with heavy scent are bad for the skin and can cause irritation. However, this one does not. It is ever so gentle. My facial skin feels like it is breathing after I use this scrub but it does not feel harsh. Also, it has a oil undertone which leaves the skin slightly moisturized and not dry.

I LOVE IT.

Ok moving on.
So as promised I will complete full reviews of the rest of the movies and I wanna add two more movies to the list!

1.) Baahubali
2.) Bajrangi Bhaijaan
3.) Inside out

So I shall review these two first before I proceed with the earlier list because these are more recent movies and it makes sense to review them first in case anybody reading this blog decides to catch any of them! 

Also, I got some comments on my previous blog post stating how I am being absolute about views on the movie and my perspective of my...faith(because I do not consider myself religious). (really trying to phrase what the comments were about in a very civilized manner)
I would just like to remind everybody reading this blog that *cough* this happens to be my personal blog. And as such, I am entitled to share my *absolute* views on matters than are close to my heart or matters that I think deem mention or inquiry. I did add in my post that it is really my personal view of God and other things related to my faith (which happens to Hinduism, in case it was not clear already).Furthermore, I personally find it hard to see what is offensive about stating that my understanding of Dharma takes into account the evolving nature of humanity and the ebbing time that has no patience for our attachments to personal or societal constants. It also takes into account the varying mental, physical and spiritual capacity of every human and thus leaves the interpretation of God/divinity to us since obviously, what makes sense to one dude won't make sense to another guy. I don't see how that is imposing any single view of anybody... 

Anyway, since there are obviously touchy readers out there who consider any view deviant from theirs *absolute*, I would like to state that the following movie reviews are my PERSONAL opinion on the movies. The reviews are not purely objective and also take into account my emotional experience as I watched the films. I am not a professional film critic and I don't claim to be so. Thank you. 

Sorry for spoiling the tone of the post there. :( I really needed to get that out of the way before I continue because I don't want to have to entertain such comments again. I will definitely entertain any healthy discussion on any of the topics or posts but please, no personal attacks.:) Like I have stated in the past, any idea deserves to be scrutinized critically. But that does not require getting personal or offensive about it. Also, I would like to thank the 2 anon comments that encouraged me to write more on my views about the various texts and concepts in Hinduism. I apologize that I will sadly not be able to carry that out since my understanding of the texts is very rudimentary and secondly, I only have proper understanding of certain portions of certain texts. Those parts make most sense to me while reading, which is where I get my insights from. For anybody who wishes to know more, you can start with Advaita Philosophy. :) 

I shall start my reviews now. :)

Baahubali 

I watched this film in all 3 languages. It was dubbed in Hindi and filmed twice- once in Tamil and another time in Telugu. I obviously liked the Telugu one best because I could actually understand it in it's essence and thus I enjoyed and appreciated the dialogues and plot more.
I watched the Tamil one with a Tamil-speaking friend and he enjoyed it quite a bit too. I did not quite like the Hindi version because the dialogues were clearly not what the respective actors were uttering and it was so obvious that it was dubbed. Frankly, it was a bit distracting, the lack of sync I mean.

Moving on to the plot, I felt like the ending (which is a cliff-hanger) was well-placed because everybody who watched this movie wants to watch the sequel. The introduction of the various characters was well-done as well. The shaping of each character induced strong feelings towards each character. I do wish that characters were less black and white in some parts, especially the central antagonist.

I especially enjoyed the strong female characters. (spoiler alert!) Sivagami was universally inspiring. Her political acumen carefully blended with her motherly and feminine characteristics was awe-inducing. A lot of modern-day feminists should take away something from her character, which was an embodiment of classical feminism and strength/importance of feminine role in the context of Indian culture. Then comes Avanthika. Now this is where several feminists were very upset. They claim that the notorious undressing scene of Avanthika is practically rape as it goes against her wishes to engage in any sexual activity or interaction with Sivudu. In my personal opinion(please do not take this as justification, it is up to the viewer how he/she wants to perceive it), I think the scene was to let her view her own repressed desires to lead a slightly different life/feminity. Why do I say so? There is a scene before that whereby she views her own dirty face in the reflection of the lake waters and she looks visibly discontented as she sighs. The little side of her that wants to admire her own feminity/beauty or engage in the simple act of decking up showed through. But she quickly shuns it away. And the reason is clear as well as the movie goes on. (Her leader is pressurizes her/enforces it on the tribe that a person who places importance on looks or appearances, is vain, and thus cannot accomplish their given task effectively)

The acting was flawless for the most part in terms of lead characters. Ramya Krishnan was brilliant imo. I also felt like Prabhas did his character a ton of justice. The benevolent yet charismatic protagonist always woos the hearts. But the real show stopper was Rana, with his sharp looks and sharper tongue and attitude. Ok maybe I just have a thing for bad guys in movies, but damn was he hottt. And no, I am not a hormonal teenager (or maybe my hormones kicked in later). His acting was on fleek too. (on fleek is like on point, geddit? Avanti taught me this hur hur hur) I did not see much action from Anushka Shetty, prolly will be seeing more of her in the sequel.

Overall I would rate the movie a 3.5/5 stars. :) Do catch it for it's enthralling cinematography mixed with a large than life Indian themed story-telling.

Bajrangi Bhaijaan

Ok so like every Salman movie, you have you leave your brain at home. There is not point of critically thinking regarding any theme as such. And I mean it, ANY theme. Not even the India-Pakistan or Hindu-Muslim theme that is shoved in the faces of the viewers in a one-sided manner.

BUT once you do decide to leave your brain at home and decide that you are giving away 12 bucks for the sole purpose of entertainment, heck, this is one good movie. I thoroughly enjoyed the second half especially. Nawazuddin Siddiqui stole the light for me. His acting did just great justice to his character, it was honestly the most endearing. And that is something big when you consider the movie has an adorable 4-year old kid who communicates literally through her adorable gestures. :') The sincerity of his character was hope-inducing even for a steadfast rationalist and realist like myself. He should be given some award or something man.

Moving on, as you must have heard from EVERY single person who has watched this movie. The child female character, Shahida, is absolutely adorable even in her stubborness and occasional naughtiness. Her laughter, her smile, her tears, her prayer, all of it touches the heart. I must applaud the great selection of actress for this role and of course, the build up of the character.

And then comes Kareena Kapoor, the poster girl for the Adarsh Liberals with the double-standard leftist ideology. Her characters was probably the only one that annoyed me in the movie. Her one-sided critique of Indian society and values was frustrating.

I shall not talk much about Salman in this movie because he was just being his same old. Nothing new in his inventory of acting so I don't have much to elucidate on that.

Overall,  I would give this a 3/5. For the hilarious punch lines, for NS and for Shahida. :)


Inside Out

before I review this movie or say anything, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GO WATCH THIS MOVIE. AND TAKE ALL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS TO WATCH IT TOO. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. ok thanks.

This is honestly one of the best movies I have watched in a really really long time. I cannot even remember a movie I have watched in a while that made me think this much and made me feel idk, touched in a child-like manner. It was so perfectly nuanced, not black and white, so...well directed and the build up to the characters and their minds was just stupendous.

I am certainly NOT gonna spoil this movie for any of my readers because everybody ought to go and watch it. If I write out what I love about this movie and what made me melt, it will obviously ruin it for all of you. Hence, all I will say is, I watched it twice and I don't mind tagging along to watch it another time. THAT IS HOW GOOD IT WAS. Don't even ask me for a rating. Like 500/5 or something would do it justice or something.

On a serious note though, I do wish for all children and young adults to watch this movie and appreciate their mind and themselves in their entirety because that is something so important in this age of strife competition and self-doubt.

                                                                                                                                          

So there you have it, 3 movie reviews and 3 product reviews. I have been watching 2 new TV series as well, which I will review in my next post. :)

Ciao for now!:)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

furlough;

prashka;